PODIUMART & SUPRAREALISM & ICONOGRAPHY
Doriți să reacționați la acest mesaj? Creați un cont în câteva clickuri sau conectați-vă pentru a continua.
Căutare

Rezultate pe:

Rechercher Cautare avansata

Ultimele subiecte
» O noua tabara de pictura in Maramures
Stereotype threat EmptyLun Mai 14, 2012 4:11 pm Scris de arbex

» Tabara de initiere in pictura hobby art in Maramures
Stereotype threat EmptyMier Apr 20, 2011 10:58 am Scris de arbex

» PETER JECZA
Stereotype threat EmptyLun Mai 17, 2010 8:36 am Scris de Admin

» HOTARÂRE nr. 518 din 7 aprilie 2004 pentru aprobarea Normelor metodologice privind exportul definitiv sau temporar al bunurilor culturale mobile
Stereotype threat EmptyLun Mai 17, 2010 8:19 am Scris de Admin

» Enciclopediei Artistilor Romani Contemporani- anunt pentru artistii profesionisti
Stereotype threat EmptyLun Mai 17, 2010 8:13 am Scris de Admin

» Tabara de pictura Hobby Art
Stereotype threat EmptyMar Mai 11, 2010 4:39 pm Scris de arbex

» Raport despre rezidenta la ICR Venetia - iunie/noiembrie 2009
Stereotype threat EmptySam Apr 03, 2010 10:55 am Scris de Admin

» TWILIGHT VISIONS: SURREALISM, PHOTOGRAPHY, AND PARIS
Stereotype threat EmptyVin Mar 05, 2010 3:59 pm Scris de Admin

» JOSEPH BEUYS: “We Are the Revolution”
Stereotype threat EmptyVin Mar 05, 2010 3:56 pm Scris de Admin

Navigare
 Portal
 Index
 Membri
 FAQ
 Cautare
Galerie

Stereotype threat Empty
Cine este conectat?
În total sunt 1 utilizatori conectați: 0 Înregistrați, 0 Invizibil și 1 Vizitator

Nici unul

[ Vizualizeaza toata lista ]

Recordul de utilizatori conectați a fost de 18, Joi Iul 22, 2021 2:02 am
Sondaj

Stereotype threat

In jos

Stereotype threat Empty Stereotype threat

Mesaj  Admin Joi Iun 04, 2009 11:01 pm

May 29, 2009

In 1995, Stanford University psychologists Claude Steele and Joshua Aronson coined the term "Stereotype threat." At the time, they were dealing with such stereotypes as "Girls do poorly in math" and "African Americans are challenged in higher education." Their idea was that the mere knowledge of expectations affected performance. Conversely, such stereotypes as "Jews are smart" seemed to have a positive effect on Jewish academic performance. Prophesies and indigenous myths can be self-fulfilling.

As artists, one of our frequently heard stereotypes is "Painters are poor." A more gentle variation is "While painters may live enriched lives, they suffer a lifetime of having no money." Funnily, this stereotype hasn't been around long--mainly since Paul Gauguin deserted his wife and kids and tried to live cheaply among the brown ladies of Tahiti. Somerset Maugham wrote a play about it: "The Moon and Sixpence."

These days, the poor-artist stereotype is sometimes reinforced in art schools where instructors advise students on the thrills of their impending poverty.

In the Stanford psychologist's theory, the most recent or oft-repeated stereotype has the most potent influence. Students who were issued a written test, for example, tended to do better when asked for their personal details at the end, rather than at the beginning, of the test.

When I was about ten years old, my dad took me to visit a couple of Fine Artists. Both these painters seemed to me to lead enriched lives, working with integrity and to be anything but poor. They had no day jobs and, apparently, no inheritance to keep their families comfortable. They worked long hours and sent excellent art to distant dealers. The penny dropped in my bony little head that an artist could prosper, and the penny has been lodged there ever since.

Popping the festering bubble of stereotype ought to be part of our job description. Here are a few more to think about: "Collectors prefer their artists to be male," "Art is what you can get away with," and "Painters are flogging a dead horse."

Best regards,

Robert

PS: "Some members of stigmatized groups lag behind others because they have internalized the stereotypes." (John Cloud, Time Magazine)

Esoterica: One of those artists my dad and I visited was quite elderly. We bought his old, much-sanded drawing table, which I still treasure. It was this sort of experience that gave me the idea of the Eternal Brotherhood and Sisterhood of Artists. While we tend to be solitary, we are part of a greater movement that spans generations. And while misery, poverty and poisonous pedagogy lurk beside our paths, we can take power from the positive in one another.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take a look at our newest feature The Painter's Post. It's the top art-related source of information, inspiration and fun.

Current clickback: How to control kissing gives illustrated examples of kissing as well as illustrated reader responses and live comments.

Read this letter online and feel free to make your own comments on stereotyping, for better or worse, or anything else that's on your mind. Opinions, observations and further insight are always welcome at rgenn@saraphina.com.

Admin
Admin

Data de înscriere : 21/11/2008
Varsta : 53
Localizare : Timisoara- Romania

https://podiumart.forumgratuit.ro

Sus In jos

Sus

Permisiunile acestui forum:
Nu puteti raspunde la subiectele acestui forum